14 Nov 2015

About Us: Soprano Anna-Maija


 How does it feel to be in front of the camera?

Sometimes it's nice, but mostly uncomfortable. I easily get shy in the presence of a camera.

What interests you the most in this project?

The new group, the start-up feel. The libretto. Itzam's music. My own acting work and ability to learn...? Also wondering if Jenna will lose her temper and at what point!

What's your worst-case scenario?

That my child gets sick, and I won't be able to sleep (even the little I can now). That I won't learn my own part or I'll forget it. That the director will be frustrated, disappointed and angry. And that's it, I think.

You've sung both lied and opera a lot. Do you feel closer to one of those forms of performing? Why?

In lied I like the chamber music: the intense co-operation with the pianist - and also the ease in scheduling rehearsals compared to a larger group. I like how the poem is painted with notes, without anything extra. In opera I like - surprise, surprise - acting and using my body. The kinaesthetic awareness in opera helps my vocal technique. I also like working in a group, if the group's not too big. I have to say that the scale of our Jääkausi-opera is quite perfect!

You get to/have to perform several roles in this opera. Have you done something like this before? How do these characters seem to you, can you relate to them?

Plasticity shouldn't be the biggest probem - sometimes it's hard to build just one whole credible part, so in that sense this solution works for me. I have to admit that Ihminen ("human") in this opera is indeed more humane to relate to, but I don't mind being eaten either :)

...will Anna-Maija really be eaten? And how? All this will be revealed on the 1st of March...

No comments:

Post a Comment