13 Feb 2015

Meet the Group: Iida



Iida Antola is a 25-year-old singer and choir conductor living in Helsinki. It was always clear to her that she'd become a musician, but as a child she was also interested in "normal people's professions" such as a writer, interpreter, policewoman, veterinarian..
Upcoming events include Musica Nova's final concert - Iida is singing in the Helsinki Chamber Choir - and appearing as a soloist in Haydn's Salve Regina and Nelson -masses on the 22nd of March. Iida is also in charge of the choir in Sibelius Academy's next opera production, Rossini's Il Viaggio. At the moment, unfortunately, she's got the world's most persistent flu.

- What's good and what's not-so-good about being a singer? 

The freedom of a freelancer suits me very well, I can plan programs, concerts, and projects, and I'm free to decide my own schedule. Even though scraping my income from different sources can be stressful, I'm still happy the way I am. After ten years the situation is probably different and I'll be famous and talented. However, I'd die of boredom if I had a regular job.
In many ways a freelancer's work isn't fit for humans.. For example, even if I'm ill I often cannot stay at home unless I'm really dying. If I cancel a concert, I won't get paid. Also the amount you get paid for performing different things can vary a lot. I can make hundreds of euros by singing a 15-minute solo in a recording project funded by YLE - and yet it's possible to sing a full recital and not even get the traveling expenses covered. Sometimes boring gigs pay better than interesting ones, but I try not to let money influence what kind of work I take on.

- What other interests or hobbies do you have?

Travelling and languages. Australia was my latest destination. There's so much to see in the world..

- Tell us something about yourself that others don't necessarily know!

I spent my early childhood in Taiwan - my family was doing missionary work there. I was born in Taipei and baptized in Chinese.

Want to know more? Contact us and we'll tell you more about this multitalented lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment